Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Running computer cables from basement to floor above

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:10:39 -0400, krw wrote:

In article , NOPSAMmm2005
says...
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:43:23 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

How are you connecting your keyboard and mouse? If you're using USB,
you already have the cable you need to have a hub in the room above.

Good point. I don't have one, but I'm still in the 90's with win98
even.

Win98 supports USB, so the solution I mentioned should work (although

Isn't USB limited to 10'? That's not much if you're running between
floors and to several devices.

16' per segment and 5 segments (with hubs between them).

Yeah, I have USB and I have a USB camera. I'm just not up to having a
hub yet.

They're cheap. I have a couple of nice seven port hubs, the laptop
has three ports, the dock five, and monitor four (and another four
port in the drawer). ;-)

Well, my friend gave me two of them, but I haven't used one yet. They
have quite short cords, too short to use in the basmeent. Maybe
that's why he gave them to me. I think he got one of them for free
somewhere.

There is a maximum length. IMO you'll run into this if you go
between floors.

Adjacent floors shouldn't be more than 16 feet apart. Maybe if this
cable needs to run horizontally too.

snip

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov