Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Traveling Irrigator drive motor

I doubt it. It still takes a lot of power to pull in the hose- have you
ever
cranked one by hand? I have.We sell lots of travelers and I've never
heard of a turbine bearing failure (We used to sell Kifco and switched to
Micro Rain a year ago).

The turbine was stalling easily and I felt a tight spots like pits in the
bearings. Ordered a pile of repair parts and took it apart. THEN I found out
only one of the two bearings was in the replacement part pile. Bad bearing
seal has let water in and rusted it.

Couldn't leave machine down, so I put it back in service without the
turbine.

FWIW- your 15 psi pressure drop is caused not only by the turbine, but
also the drag in the rest of the water circuit ( there is a lot of loss in
all that hose) and attempting to go above a water velocity of about 5 fps
by boosting pressure ( you can't boost flow) only makes things worse by
introducing turbulence in the system.

Kifco recommends an inlet pressure of 127 PSI for my unit. I only get 100
with turbine in place retrieving hose (108 disengaged). Remove turbine and I
get 115. Unit runs WAY better. AMAZING. I can't go higher pressure on my
plastic underground supply lines. Thus, my query on another way to retrieve
hose.

Karl (spells his name right) Townsend