Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Traveling Irrigator drive motor

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 18:52:49 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

You sure about the 10 lbf-ft from the turbine? That seems like a lot
but I have no experience with irrigation systems.

Pure guess, and on the high side. I plan on measuring force to pull the hose
at the PTO/hand crank shaft. And the exact gear reduction the system has
today. Makes sense to not re-use the existing gear reduction setup. Then I
could look for a DC gear motor. This should be way more efficient.

The traveler is close to the reel today. I'll measure tomorrow when a full
length of hose is out. The place I'll set it out is also an uphill lie, so I
can get max. force. I'll just have a static torque wench number, moving
force will be lower.

Hi Karl,

How about a few pictures of your current rig while you're
taking measurements. You know how everyone likes to look,
comment, comment, argue after a few pictures

Seriously I think you will get some better ideas to kick
around if we can see the actual device/problem...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b