Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Running computer cables from basement to floor above

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 19:51:17 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:

As other have have said, cable length might be an issue, especially
for the monitor. My computer lives in Grandma's antique desk and to
minimize damage, I didn't want to drill holes for the cables. I was

Do you think some day the faux-formica computer desks with the slide
out shelf for the keyboard and the holes for the cables will be
antiques?

Will people ask their value on the 2097 edition of the Antiques Road
Show?

Do think DerbyMom might someday be a grandmother and the grown
grandkid will be afraid to damage the curved edges of the swivel
shelves?

able to remove a bottom panel but then I needed extensions for my non-
usb mouse, non-usb keyboard and monitor. The extension cables for the
mouse and keyboard were not a problem and I believe they come in some
decent lengths.

The monitor cable was a different story. I bought a "standard" monitor
extension cord at Best Buy and my video quality sucked. I did a little
internet research and found that I needed to use a shielded coaxial
extension cable in order to maintain good quality. Just as an example,
this site sells them for $13 - $80, depending on the length you need.

http://www.vpi.us/cable-vga.html

All this said, I think sticking the computer in a remote location may
not be the best idea, for all the reasons so many others have
mentioned.