Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Will drywall hold

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 19:34:50 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

"Eigenvector" wrote:
I've never actually used a moly bolt. I can see how they'd be a bear to
patch and use, but my experience with plastic anchors is pretty ugly.

If you take care to drill the right size hole with a new bit, insert the

You would actually use a new bit in plaster? Doesn't that dull bits
faster than almost anything else?

I use the bits I paid 69 cents for 14 of them, and I don't think my
hole is any different in diameter or smoothness than any other bit
would make.

Comments?

insert flush with the wall, and use the right size screw in the insert (with
enough penetration), they hold well. You have to go by the numbers, though,
but if done right they are pretty sturdy.

Jon

Plastic wall anchors may be cheap, but that's because plastic is cheap
and anchors are easy to make.

They may be slippery, but they have little teeth that imbed themselves
in the plaster and the question is whether those teeth are sufficient
and whether they loose their corners so easily that the anchors slide
out. I don't think they do at low weights, but I've never weighed
things or compared them with the promised capacity so I don't know.

I don't know why the OP is asking about the NEXT time he hangs this
shelf, when he says that this time, he is putting the screws in studs.

I also don't know why it can't always be mounted on studs, since the
screws don't have to go through at the ends of the rack. If the rack
is 36 inches wide and 16" spacking, the left screw can go through the
rack say 8 inches from the left end, the next screw aat 24 inches from
the left end (and 12 from the right), and that is 16 inch spacing.

If there are holes from the previous mounting, one can put screws in
those too, even if those screws don't hit the studs and might bear no
weight.