Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Will drywall hold

On Jul 22, 3:58 pm, "EXT" wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jul 22, 2:28 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message

on 7/22/2007 4:28 PM Eigenvector said the following:
I'm planning on mounting an oak DVD rack on my wall, 3 studs wide -
about
36" assuming 18" centers.

Where do you live? Here in the US, studs are usually 16" on center (or
24") which would be 48" for three studs (48" for 2 studs 24" OC).

Well like I said the numbers aren't important, besides the stud spacing
in
my house isn't consistent enough to rely on. It'll all get measured out
when I build the rack.

This is just guesswork for now so the numbers aren't that important.
Anyway, so I'm going to hang a single shelf 36" oak DVD rack, assume
it
will be filled with DVD's. The plan is to mount it directly to the
studs, but that's not something I can necessarily count on in case I
move
the rack in the future. So I'm wondering whether or not drywall will
be
able to hold that much weight if I use drywall anchors. I actually
don't
know how much it will weigh I'm guessing less than 50 lbs.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

EV-

IMO molly toggles & molly bolts suck.
They're a PITA to work with, I hatethem, never use them.

I think your weight estimate ( 50 lbs) is good. SO even if you only
use three screws the withdrawl load on the center screw (worst case)
is less than 25 lbs.

I would use plastic wall anchors, I know they're not all that strong
but the loads in your situation are pretty low.

Personally, I find most plastic wall anchors are made of cheap slippery
plastic and easily slide out of drywall. Anchors that spread the load behind
the drywall, I find best for taking weight.

Plastic anchors are indeed made of "cheap slippery plastic"

but they do not easy slip out of drywall IF the correct drill size is
used AND the correct screw size is used.

Correctly installed, the anchor spreads & grips the drywall...never
had pull out problem with them as long as the loads were reasonable.

cheers
Bob