Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Will drywall hold

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 17:03:46 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 13:28:04 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

I'm planning on mounting an oak DVD rack on my wall, 3 studs wide - about
36" assuming 18" centers. This is just guesswork for now so the numbers
aren't that important. Anyway, so I'm going to hang a single shelf 36"
oak
DVD rack, assume it will be filled with DVD's. The plan is to mount it
directly to the studs, but that's not something I can necessarily count on
in case I move the rack in the future. So I'm wondering whether or not
drywall will be able to hold that much weight if I use drywall anchors. I
actually don't know how much it will weigh I'm guessing less than 50 lbs.

Try using a French cleat (old thread I've read).

Building a French Cleat
Simple, Strong and Cheap

http://www.newwoodworker.com/frenchcleat.html

--
Oren

Hmm, that's an idea. May be able to incorporate it into the design too.
That would also eliminate the need to put a hole in my nice oak boards too!

Enlarge the pictures for the cabinet back

The cleat only needs two holes (1/4 X 3 1/2") lag bolts. And you can
move it with "minimal damage".

That site limits the cleat to 36".. bottom of page...
--
Oren

"I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."