Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Can't do simple freaking soldering on brass pipe

Also, don't apply the heat to the actual joint, apply it to both sides of
the joint, keep moving the torch from one spot to the other and for 1" pipe
be sure to cover all around the joint, that is a large joint and it will
soak up a lot of heat.

Rather than try to do a complete joint, why don't you tin the brass pipe.
The brass metal seems to be the problem, so work on this by itself by
heating and applying solder to the brass pipe by itself so you can see what
is happening and without the joint there will be less metal to drain the
heat away. When you get it coated in solder take a cloth and wipe the excess
melted solder off the pipe so you can slip the coupling on over it, it will
go much smoother if you do this.

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 22, 5:30 pm, "Scott Townsend"
wrote:
The fitting when headed will change colors. I usually wait till its a
shade
of black, then it will kind of turn a light color again. Then apply the
solder... IT takes way more then 10 seconds to get the heat applied all
the
way around the fitting.

It think it doesn't help that I'm using propane. From what I've heard
today, propane isn't as hot as acetylene or MAPP. Maybe I'll try again
and let it get even hotter. I'm going to end up going through a whole
bottle of propane on two couplings! This is ridiculous... I know I'm
not a handy man, but this can't be that hard! Those videos made it
look so easy.