Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Will drywall hold

"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 22, 2:28 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message

on 7/22/2007 4:28 PM Eigenvector said the following:
I'm planning on mounting an oak DVD rack on my wall, 3 studs wide -
about
36" assuming 18" centers.

Where do you live? Here in the US, studs are usually 16" on center (or
24") which would be 48" for three studs (48" for 2 studs 24" OC).

Well like I said the numbers aren't important, besides the stud spacing
in
my house isn't consistent enough to rely on. It'll all get measured out
when I build the rack.

This is just guesswork for now so the numbers aren't that important.
Anyway, so I'm going to hang a single shelf 36" oak DVD rack, assume
it
will be filled with DVD's. The plan is to mount it directly to the
studs, but that's not something I can necessarily count on in case I
move
the rack in the future. So I'm wondering whether or not drywall will
be
able to hold that much weight if I use drywall anchors. I actually
don't
know how much it will weigh I'm guessing less than 50 lbs.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

EV-

IMO molly toggles & molly bolts suck.
They're a PITA to work with, I hatethem, never use them.

I think your weight estimate ( 50 lbs) is good. SO even if you only
use three screws the withdrawl load on the center screw (worst case)
is less than 25 lbs.

I would use plastic wall anchors, I know they're not all that strong
but the loads in your situation are pretty low.

Personally, I find most plastic wall anchors are made of cheap slippery
plastic and easily slide out of drywall. Anchors that spread the load behind
the drywall, I find best for taking weight.