Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
skeez skeez is offline

Default Shop accident

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 22:05:33 -0400, BillinDetroit
wrote:

Tonight, while applying CA to a pen using a folded over piece of paper
towel as a swab, the CA -for reasons as yet unfathomed- gushed out.

It went through the towel onto my fingers, picking up enough cellulose
and moisture on the way through to set instantly.

CA sets up exothermically.

I now have rather sudden and definitely painful blisters on two fingers
which were stuck to the paper towel for upwards of two seconds. When I
pulled one towel section off, some of the skin had been cooked and came
off with it. Deep enough to bleed.

My first reaction was to thin the stuff (thus spreading the reaction out
over a larger area) with the bottle of CA solvent I keep at my lathe. I
still think that this might have saved the day but I found that, squeeze
though I might, I could only get one tiny drop at a time out of the
nozzle on the bottle. USELESS!!!!

The nozzle has now been snipped far enough down that I can get about
half the contents out with one squeeze.

I will continue to use CA as a finish, but I need to figure out a
practical (ie, simple enough to use reliably without obvious hazards of
its own) way to keep this from EVER happening again. There is a large
puffy area of skin on my finger tip ... flesh that cooked while still
attached but that did not pull off when the rest did.

I do NOT want a reprise of this event.

Just a 'heads up', gang. I had about 1/4 second warning that things had
gone sour (noting the excess glue coming out) before things went to pot.

Be careful out there.

Bill

I use surgical gloves from harbor freight. 3 bucks on sale for a box
of 100. if this happens with the gloves they will rip the glove off
without getting your fingers.
also I apply CA with the blue expantion joint material you find on
concrete jobs. not sure what its called but it is a foam plastic type
material and a few feet of it will last for years turning pens. this
stuff doesnt react with the CA. you get a little more working time
too. thats a big plus.

skeez