Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default Gas blowtorch: safe, or not?

Steve R. wrote:
"Ken Grunke" wrote in message
news
A $2 item at a garage sale, looks to be in decent shape and little used.
http://www.kengrunke.frih.net/forumimages/gastorch.jpg

But I've never used one of this before.
The pump doesn't pump. (no compression)

I don't have an oxy-acetylene rig, only a Prestolite acetylene bottle
jeweler's torch plus a standard propane bottle torch.

Will this heat a 3/4" steel shaft to red heat for bending, for example?

Am I risking life and limb by thinking of using it? Or is it a simple
matter of getting new seals, and firing it up? Will it burn white gas? I
have a gallon of that with nothing to use it in.

Thanks for any sensible comments.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

I have been using my late fathers old (now) Lambert blow torch since about
1955. No problems, just maintain it, and keep it in good condition. After
some practice, it's possible to do silver soldering on quite small objects,
despite the size of the flame. I still use the old Lambert occasionaly, even
though a propane turbo torch, and an oxy propane rig are on hand.

Steve R.

Gas blow lamps as we call them here in the UK dont need a lot of
pressure to get up and running,
Kerosene ones do.
these types of blow lamp were made to do primarily large soldering
jobs. Such as sealing riveted brass or copper water tanks and brass to
lead pipe work. Those lovely oval sweated pipejoints?
If you want to heat up 3/4 in steel rod, there not the best tool.
For heating steel to red hot youll need a minimum of propane and oxygen.
Acetylene and oxygen is the fastest , and hottest.
Despite the fact that acetylene hasa much lower calorific value than
propane.
Its to do with the flame rate. Propane is very slow. Acetylene is
very fast,
hopes this helps.