Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North JR North is offline

Default Welding & frying electronics on the welded item

I didn't mean placing the ground clamp next to the weld was MORE risky
than somewhere else, My meaning was, the whole procedure has inherent risk.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"JR North" wrote: On cars, clamping next to the weld is risky,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No, that is the right way to do it. What you DON'T want to do is put the
ground clamp somewhere else, for two reasons: 1.) Don't give the welding
current a return path that could include any electronics. 2.) Don't give
the welding current a path that includes any bearings. Disconnecting the
battery is not necessary--the welding current isn't going that way, and
wouldn't hurt the battery if it did. The battery can handle hundreds of
amps easily. And you are right: disconnecting the battery could cause you
to have to reprogram a bunch of stuff, including your radio stations and the
radio's antitheft lockout.

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"