Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Ignoramus7760 Ignoramus7760 is offline

Default Made machine feet for my Bridgeport -- pix and question

I made adjustable machine feet. I want to perfectly level my
Bridgeport mill by adjusting legs. Then some manipulations of parts
during milling would become easier, as I could use a machinist level
to align parts in vises horizontally. I want them to also be
retractable so that I can mount the casters back and move the mill
around.

These feet are made from 1"-10 all thread studs and same nuts, welded
onto 0.25x1.5x4.75" steel flats.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/My-B...-Machine-Feet/

I have not yet welded them to the mill's bottom frame (which is a
homemade frame for casters, if you recall, I would not be welding
these feet to the actual machine base).

My question is whether I need some set screw or some such, to prevent
these 1" allthread studs from working themselves out of alignment,
over the years, due to vibration. Or would they just hold in place.

Right now, they are held by the nuts to the extent of being either
difficult or impossible to turn by hand, but all are easy to turn with
a wrench. (due to changes of alignment that happened during welding).

My gut feeling is that setscrews are not necessary, but I wanted to
hear some opinions first.

thanks