Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default New TS regulations will require Riving Knives on future saws in the US

"marc rosen" wrote in message
ups.com...
Leon, (or others)
(and please be kind to me if you think my question is rooted in
ignorance)
Are riving knives any safer than removable splitters? I know that
they sit closer to the back of the blade tha a splitter - like my
Biesemeyer - but aside from that, what makes them better?

For any safety device to ultimately be effective, it needs to be more
convenient to use than not.

For that reason I would think the safety factor of a riving knife is
marginally greater, mainly because of its "convenience".

IOW, since it rises and lowers with the blade and doesn't extend over the
top of the blade, it is a lot more convenient to leave on for most type of
cuts, and if you don't have to remove it, you won't forget to put it back on
for the next cut.

You could also probably argue that a riving knife, which usually rides
closer to the back of the blade, leaves less room between it and the blade
for something to get caught in.

I'm all for their incorporation into TS technology ... wish my Uni was so
equipped.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07