Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default Sprayer gasket making 101

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:
I'm being cheap (frugal), so bear with me. It's the gasket for the
pump on a 1 gal. garden sprayer, as sold at Wal Mart. I recall the
complete rebuild kit is about $5 but I just need the one large gasket.

It's rubber or some type of synthetic, although not shiny like
neoprene. It's roughly 2 1/8" OD and 2" ID and 3/16" thick. I
thought about turning a square channel in a piece of board with my
lathe and then filling that with silicone glue to mold a gasket, but
the silicone probably wouldn't hold up. My recollection from a couple
of years ago was that the local hardware store (which is pretty good)
didn't have an O ring that came close in size.

What other rubbery materials are easily obtainable to cut or form a
gasket? A sheet that I could cut with a pair of scissors or a razor
would work fine. Or a strip that I could form into a circle and super
glue into a ring would also work. What am I looking for guys?

RWL

3/16 or 7/32 O-ring stock from an industrial supply place. Maybe cheap,
if you have one within walking distance. Not so much, if you have to
burn a buck or two worth of gas to find the right place.

Cheaper and faster to buy the kit and spend your time wisely. Use your
"makin'" time on stuff that has some payback in the dollar value/time
equation.

Cheers
Trevor Jones