Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sprayer gasket making 101

I'm being cheap (frugal), so bear with me. It's the gasket for the
pump on a 1 gal. garden sprayer, as sold at Wal Mart. I recall the
complete rebuild kit is about $5 but I just need the one large gasket.

It's rubber or some type of synthetic, although not shiny like
neoprene. It's roughly 2 1/8" OD and 2" ID and 3/16" thick. I
thought about turning a square channel in a piece of board with my
lathe and then filling that with silicone glue to mold a gasket, but
the silicone probably wouldn't hold up. My recollection from a couple
of years ago was that the local hardware store (which is pretty good)
didn't have an O ring that came close in size.

What other rubbery materials are easily obtainable to cut or form a
gasket? A sheet that I could cut with a pair of scissors or a razor
would work fine. Or a strip that I could form into a circle and super
glue into a ring would also work. What am I looking for guys?

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:
[...]

3/16 or 7/32 O-ring stock from an industrial supply place. Maybe cheap,
if you have one within walking distance. Not so much, if you have to
burn a buck or two worth of gas to find the right place.

Cheaper and faster to buy the kit and spend your time wisely. Use your
"makin'" time on stuff that has some payback in the dollar value/time
equation.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

[...]

Put a light film of oil on the part you dont want the gasket to stick to
and on the other half put a ring of RTV or even put oil on both sides.
Loosely screw on the top but do not cause the rtv to be squeezed out but
screw it on just enough for the rtv to form a gasket. Wait a day and
you will have a reusable gasket.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 21, 3:45 am, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET
wrote:

My recollection from a couple
of years ago was that the local hardware store (which is pretty good)
didn't have an O ring that came close in size.

What other rubbery materials are easily obtainable to cut or form a
gasket? A sheet that I could cut with a pair of scissors or a razor
would work fine. Or a strip that I could form into a circle and super
glue into a ring would also work. What am I looking for guys?

RWL

I bought some rubber gasket material recently at the local Coast to
Coast store. They also sell o-rings in a lot of sizes. You might
also try Ace Hardware and your local auto parts store.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET writes:

What other rubbery materials are easily obtainable to cut or form a
gasket?

Plumbing aisle at Home Depot or Lowes sell a small sheet of NBR rubber for
cutting gaskets. Bathtub drain repair parts use a rubber gasket about that
size.

O-ring assortment at Harbor Freight tops out at 2-1/8 OD by 3/16 thick.

Rubber mats are sold as kitchen sink or shower items at Walmart, etc.

None of which are going to really be much cheaper.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've found rubbery sheets in a hardware plumbing section that were about 4"
square and in 2 thicknesses of about 1/8" and 3/16". I dunno what the
material is, it's orange, and apparently meant to be cut to size.
It does cut easily with scissors or utility knife blade. The individual
sheets may have been about 90 cents or not a lot more.

Something I tried when I had to cut open an aged tube of RTV silicone gasket
maker/sealer, was to put some of it between 2 sheets of plastic, just to see
if it would be usable after curing.
I took the sides of 2 liter plastic bottles, and pulled the plastic over an
edge to remove the curl.

I put a big gob of RTV in the middle of one piece, and laid the other piece
on top, and squished it flat to about 1/8", strating at the center of the
gob and pressing outward both ways.
Starting with the big gob will prevent voids as the gob is flattened.
A day or 2 later I was able to peel away a plastic sheet, and release the
RTV from the second sheet easily.
I haven't tried this with other materials, but the pop bottle plastic sheet
results were very good.

I didn't have a purpose for the flat RTV, I just tried this to experiment,
since I had cut the tube open.
The resulting sheet of RTV could've been cut into parts such as high temp
insulators or small gaskets.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote in message

I'm being cheap (frugal), so bear with me. It's the gasket for the
pump on a 1 gal. garden sprayer, as sold at Wal Mart. I recall the
complete rebuild kit is about $5 but I just need the one large gasket.

What other rubbery materials are easily obtainable to cut or form a
gasket? A sheet that I could cut with a pair of scissors or a razor
would work fine. Or a strip that I could form into a circle and super
glue into a ring would also work. What am I looking for guys?

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 01:22:53 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

GeoLane at PTD dot NET writes:

I need a gasket that seals the pump to the tank on a 1 gal. garden
sprayer, as sold at Wal Mart. I recall the complete rebuild kit is
about $5 but I just need the one large gasket.

....snip.....

wrote:
I've found rubbery sheets in a hardware plumbing section that were about 4"
square and in 2 thicknesses of about 1/8" and 3/16". I dunno what the
material is, it's orange, and apparently meant to be cut to size.

Follow up for you guys. The sheet of red rubber gasket material
worked well for this application. It comes in 1/16" and 1/8" sheets
at Lowes and at the local hardware store. I cut the outer
circumference with tin snips and the inner hole with an Exacto knife.
The dimensions didn't come out as perfectly as I'd like, but it
worked.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 23:01:26 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET quickly quoth:

wrote:

GeoLane at PTD dot NET writes:

I need a gasket that seals the pump to the tank on a 1 gal. garden
sprayer, as sold at Wal Mart. I recall the complete rebuild kit is
about $5 but I just need the one large gasket.

I just got a nice 2-gal sprayer from an eBay seller and the tip leaks
if it isn't tight. It can spray only a fine mist, nothing else. He's
sending another nozzle and o-ring today.

...snip.....

What other rubbery materials are easily obtainable to cut or form a
gasket? A sheet that I could cut with a pair of scissors or a razor
would work fine. Or a strip that I could form into a circle and super
glue into a ring would also work. What am I looking for guys?

How about a nice, large (1/4" diameter?) o-ring? Your local NAPA auto
parts store should be able to build one for you.

Alternatively, a piece cut from bias-ply tire sidewall material oughta
work nicely.

--
Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm).