Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET is offline

Default Sprayer gasket making 101

I'm being cheap (frugal), so bear with me. It's the gasket for the
pump on a 1 gal. garden sprayer, as sold at Wal Mart. I recall the
complete rebuild kit is about $5 but I just need the one large gasket.

It's rubber or some type of synthetic, although not shiny like
neoprene. It's roughly 2 1/8" OD and 2" ID and 3/16" thick. I
thought about turning a square channel in a piece of board with my
lathe and then filling that with silicone glue to mold a gasket, but
the silicone probably wouldn't hold up. My recollection from a couple
of years ago was that the local hardware store (which is pretty good)
didn't have an O ring that came close in size.

What other rubbery materials are easily obtainable to cut or form a
gasket? A sheet that I could cut with a pair of scissors or a razor
would work fine. Or a strip that I could form into a circle and super
glue into a ring would also work. What am I looking for guys?

RWL