Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen Ron Magen is offline

Default MLCS bits -- how good?

Bill,
Fortunately, {or 'unfortunately', as the case may be} I live about 15
minutes away from them. And seen them grow, over the years. This allows me
to wander through their shop & showroom from time to time. I've gotten a lot
of stuff from them . . . mostly their 'sale' or 'tested' items. And I do
mean a LOT !!

Are they 'perfect' or 'better then' the name-brand stuff ?? I really don't
know. I've gotten some of the 'high quality, pretty color & packaging'
cutters, etc. While they may look 'nicer', and be a little more 'colorful'
and the bodies polished, the cutting edges look pretty much the same. In
most cases they also have the same 'subtext' . . . 'Made in China'.

If my living depended on daily, constant use of the bits, I might research a
bit more, i.e. the 'cost to buy' vs. 'the cost to use'. However, for my
occasional and specialized usage, The least expensive, DECENT, Carbide,
cutters are what I use . . . successfully.

As far as their other stuff, fortunately I'm able to actually look at the
stuff and make judgments based on my observations. So far I've had pretty
good luck. I've gotten any number of plastic items for dust collection
hook-ups, templates, etc. 99 percent of the time 'On Sale', or 'Closeout'.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"BillinDetroit" wrote in message
SNIP.

As I am considering fleshing out my tiny collection of Ryobi and HF
bits, can anyone comment, from experience, on the relative value of the
MLCS brand?