Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mlcorson mlcorson is offline

Default Rubber for belt grinder drive wheel?

On Jul 19, 8:59 pm, " wrote:
On Jul 20, 2:30 am, mlcorson wrote:

Well, I stripped the old rubber tire off the wheel, and ran a belt
with the drive wheel naked. This seems to work. I will run it like
this until the wheel wears out or slips. When and if this no longer
works, I will try the rubber tape or just make a new drive wheel.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
-Mike

I also have a Delta 42 inch belt sander. The rubber on both the drive
and idle wheels came off. Keep your eyes open. I found a couple of
plastic wheels of the same size in the dumpster of a auto hobby shop.
I had to make a new shaft so I could use one for the idle wheel. I
think they came off a auto engine and kept tension on a serpntine
belt.

Dan

Dan:
I just got this Rockwell 1970's sander. It has a 3/4hp, 3420 rpm motor
on it. This seems very fast to me. What size is your machine side V
pulley? What rpm is your motor? I went to the Delta/Rockwell website
and found the specs. They call for a 3400+ rpm motor. My machine may
have the wrong size V pulley. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.
_mike