Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
charlieb charlieb is offline

Default Need Leigh FMT Jig User To Review of Procedure

Charley wrote:

Thanks for your input Swingman. Your input was much appreciated as well.

When I referred to the FMT joint capacity I meant to say that it's 1/2 X 5"
(X and Y dimensions) by the length of the router bit flutes (which cuts the
mortice depth and the tenon length - Z dimension). The 1/2" dimension comes
from the largest upcut spiral router bit diameter that both the FMT and the
router can handle, and the 5" is the limit of router travel due to the size
of the opening in the top plate of the FMT.

So the tenoning part of the FMT process only goes up to 1/2"
diameter
spiral router bits? AH - but if you go with loose tenon - you CAN
do 5/8
or 3/4 inch mortise thicknesses.

You can actually make wider than
1/2" mortices and tenons on it, but it requires some real tricks and
gimickery that results in some slight loss of precision. If I ever needed to
do this I think I would rather resort to cutting several M&T joints in close
clusters. The FMT can do up to 4 joints in a cluster with precision spacing
between them, if they don't exceed a roughly 3" X 5" footprint (the XY
positioning limits of the top plate.

Because most mortise and tenon joints a connecting grain at right
angles
to each other - expansion and contraction starts working against you
as the width - long axis - of the tenon goes up. At some point, it's
better
to split up one BIG tenon into two or more smaller ones - with some
meat
left between them.

Given that the DOMINO's fence gives you a range from about 8mm to
30mm
to the center of your mortise (0.315 to 1,181") and almost any length
you want up to 205mm ( a bit over 8") in 1mm discrete increments
between
100 and 205mm from the mortise's centerline.

Leigh FMT, MultiRouter, Chisel & Bit, DOMINO - nice to have options

charlie b