Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Using up cut-offs (DC on the cheap)

Patriarch wrote:

| Hey, where can I find a barrel just like that one? Before the
| hand-rubbed coats of lacquer? ;-)

But after the rust-removal? :-D

I dunno - this one spent most of its previous incarnation supporting a
parts washing/degreasing sink in an ultralight aircraft factory, and
I snatched it out of a heap of stuff headed for a landfill after the
business was sold.

I asked the same question, and no one could remember. I think it may
have originally held either engine oil or part washing fluid. There's
no trace of a label or stencil remaining. The lid is, of course, long
gone.

I suggest looking in the Yellow Pages under "Barrels and Drums". In
the Des Moines directory there are three entries: a specialty company
in Omaha that reconditions and recycles - and two oil companies.
Full-size cleaned/reconditioned steel drums typically run about US$20.
You can also get stainless barrels, but not for a price that I'm
willing to pay.

| Nice work here, Morris. Keep at it!

Thanks. It isn't really a razzle-dazzle project - and success isn't
guaranteed - but it's been something to nudge along in odd moments.
Today I drilled the 3/4" lid and glued the two hose blocks in place.
The next step will be to chisel the front and back of the slanted hole
(I had to drill it straight) and smooth the result with a rasp...

Thanks for the encouragement. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar