Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Charley Charley is offline

Default Need Leigh FMT Jig User To Review of Procedure

Ok, but then how do you adjust for the difference resulting from switching
from hardwood to softwood stock. It results in a change of fit of several
thousandths, changing a good fit to a too snug fit, even when using the same
brand new router bit. This is what I was referring to and I didn't see a way
of adjusting for it. Their templates increment in too large of a step to
account for this, at least in my opinion.

I'm not interested in debating this point. I just commented on what I saw.
My FMT allows for this kind of precise adjustment, without the need to buy
additional templates, and that's all that matters to me. I can get the same
fit with a new bit, or an old bit in hardwood or in softwood with repeatable
accuracy and without buying anything extra to make it work.

--
Charley

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Charley" wrote in message

I once watched a demonstration of a JDS Multi-router. It made great

mortices
and tenons, but getting a tighter joint fit required switching to a

slightly
oversized template to cut the matching tenon. They had over and under

sized
templates that they switched to whenever it was needed. This helped get

better fit, but there were only a few over and under sizes available, so
sometimes the result was either too loose or too tight with no ability

for
slightly tighter or looser adjustment.

Not exactly ... as with ANY router method/jig, sharpening a bit will

change
the size of the routed mortise or tenon, as will using cheaper erratically
manufactured, damaged or excessively worn bits.

With the M-R, as with any router based "jig", template requirements are a
function of bit size.

The M-R has two tenon template sets, the standard set designed to be used
with precisely manufactured bits/endmills, and a master tenon template set
for odd/worn/sharpened bits.

The latter uses graduated "inserts", which allow you vary the size of the
tenon based on erratic bit sizes ... this is what you saw demonstrated.

Simply using the correct size bit, or endmill, precludes that necessity.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07