Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Mark Johnson Mark Johnson is offline

Default Maple step stool

"Larry Spitz" wrote in message
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Larry Spitz" wrote in message

Very nice work, but I'd be afraid to step on it. How critical is the
angle?

Perhaps Mark Johnson would comment on his experience.

My prototype was built out of 2x stock (planed to 1 3/8"), and wobbled
considerably left-to-right. The final is maple and red oak at 2" for the
leg, and is very rigid. If the kids try to climb the wrong side (using the
foot rest as a step and hanging off of the seat) it will tip forward, but
for the intended use it is very stable. I wouldn't recommend standing on
the top with the longer neck, but since the steps only run half way up the
back it's not easy to do. I also made the steps deeper for the final
version. They were 4" tapering to 3" at the outside in the prototype, but
that didn't leave enough surface. I think the final is 5" deep at the leg,
giving a better standing platform.

-MJ

Attached Thumbnails
Maple step stool-help03-jpg