Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Lowell Holmes Lowell Holmes is offline

Default Matching sapwood to heartwood

"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in message
This may be a dumb question but.... Is there a good technique out there
for staining or dying just the sapwood to more closely match the
heartwood in a board? Built a narrow table at MIL's request for
displaying photos of the grandkids and great grandkids. I wanted to use
walnut and cherry. Since walnut is virtually impossible to get locally,
I usually end up looking for reasonable deals on ebay. This particular
lot had some really strange heartwood/sapwood patterns. You can see a
little of it on the table leg in the photo, but there is more not
visible here. It is almost splotch-looking rather than running evenly
with the grain.

I've never tried it for heartwood, but Van Dyke Brown crystals are made from
walnut husks. I read somewhere it will stain the heartwood to hide it.