Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Running computer cables from basement to floor above

On Jul 19, 12:22 am, Andrew Sarangan wrote:
To isolate noise and heat from the computer, I want to place the
processor box in the basement and have the monitor and keyboard on the
floor above. I need to penetrate the basement wall (which also happens
to an exterior wall), run straight up about 6 ft, and then penetrate
the wall again to get into the room on the upper floor. The run should
be no more than 10 ft, so I am not worried about the cable length or
signal integrity. However, I am not sure if the cavity behind the wall
extends all the way between the basement level and the upper floor, or
if it is closed off at floor level. I don't want to open up the
drywall and find out that I can't route the cables after all. The DVI
cable would need at least a one inch hole to get through, so drilling
something that big through structural lumber would be out of the
question.
Any thoughts?

Just a thought. You should call a good computer shop and inquire
about the acceptable length for cables. I think USB has a max length
of 12' or so. So you might be out of luck in doing the project with a
USB cable. I have no idea what the max length of a cable for your
screen is.

Unless noise is really, really critical for some reason, I think the
cheapest/best solution would be to replace your fans with quieter ones
-- an maybe replace your hard drives, too.