Posted to rec.woodworking
BillinDetroit BillinDetroit is offline

Default Ping Robert (nailshooter)

wrote:
On Jul 18, 1:34 am, BillinDetroit wrote:

No, I haven't seen the TREX. I just wanted something bright that would stand out and this color was on the chip chart. I'm going to make a couple more chairs in a couple weeks and then take a shot at designing a
table to go with them. I've got a couple ideas kicking around in the old bean. I think I can make the whole set very appealing.

You will love the cost of Impervo or Corotile if you take a look at
the board foot price of TREX and its cousins. OUCH!

I had an acquintance that used ot build decks and he used his cutoffs
from a couple of decks to make some furniture. It worked well for
backs and seats, but for anything that required it to be turned on
edge (like sides, chair backs, legs, etc.) he said it wasn't
satisfactory as it wasn't rigid enough. And the hotter the weather
was, the less rigid the chairs became.

Just my 0.02.

Robert

I was afraid that, being so bright, I'd run into flack over the color
.... but a couple of people have spontaneously remarked that this is a
great color choice for such furniture.

The Impervex dried beautifully. Smooth, glossy and hard as rock (well,
whats a Friday morning without a little hyperbole?). Long term, I think
it might prove to be a sound choice. Even though just a single gallon of
the stuff makes my wallet bleed. :-)

One thing is certain: I'm convinced that HVLP is the ONLY way to go on a
project like this. I can easily see it taking an hour or more, per piece
(4) / per coat (4) to paint this with a brush. And it is unlikely that,
16+ hours later, I would have as high quality of finish as I got in
about 5 minutes per coat / per part with the el-cheapo Wagner HVLP gun.

--------- another convert!

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000758-0, 07/19/2007
Tested on: 7/20/2007 1:25:15 AM