Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Running computer cables from basement to floor above

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 21:16:24 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:42:17 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:24:15 -0700, "RJ"
wrote:

1. On most new computer systems, you must
press a button on the box to "Power On"

There's likely a setting in the BIOS to make it come on automatically
when power is applied. Then you can use a remote power switch. I have
used such a setup for a couple of years.

You may want to leave the computer on all the time, but a remote power
switch is still a good ides for the times there's no way to get it to
work without rebooting.

How come Compaqs and some others don't have Reset buttons?

I suppose they're making the thing cheaper to save a little money.

Anyway, is this supposed to be relevant to power switches?

2. You're never going to use the CD/DVD reader/burner ??

There are external CD/DVD drives. Also see below.

He woudl have to run a cable for that though and didnt' mention it.

It could be the SAME cable as for the keyboard/mouse. See my next
reply.

3. Plugging in any USB device, like a digital camera
will be a pain in the butt !

How are you connecting your keyboard and mouse? If you're using USB,
you already have the cable you need to have a hub in the room above.

Good point. I don't have one, but I'm still in the 90's with win98
even.

Win98 supports USB, so the solution I mentioned should work (although
probably not as well as ME or later). However, a computer that was new
at the time Win98 was new may lack BIOS support for USB (an
inconvenience) as well as coming on with application of power. Check
that. I seemed to remember that only some systems of that age had the
feature (most do now).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell