Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Running computer cables from basement to floor above

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:24:15 -0700, "RJ"
wrote:

1. On most new computer systems, you must
press a button on the box to "Power On"

There's likely a setting in the BIOS to make it come on automatically
when power is applied. Then you can use a remote power switch. I have
used such a setup for a couple of years.

You may want to leave the computer on all the time, but a remote power
switch is still a good ides for the times there's no way to get it to
work without rebooting.

2. You're never going to use the CD/DVD reader/burner ??

There are external CD/DVD drives. Also see below.

3. Plugging in any USB device, like a digital camera
will be a pain in the butt !

How are you connecting your keyboard and mouse? If you're using USB,
you already have the cable you need to have a hub in the room above.
You can plug things in there, including that external CD/DVD drive.

I prefer USB anyway (and all modern systems should support it). The
connectors are more reliable.

Modern ( DELL ) PC's are relatively quiet.
and even the heat is minimal.........

If heat is still a problem, would a good fan help?

????

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 21:22:04 -0700, Andrew Sarangan
wrote:

To isolate noise and heat from the computer, I want to place the
processor box in the basement and have the monitor and keyboard on the
floor above. I need to penetrate the basement wall (which also happens
to an exterior wall), run straight up about 6 ft, and then penetrate
the wall again to get into the room on the upper floor. The run should
be no more than 10 ft, so I am not worried about the cable length or
signal integrity. However, I am not sure if the cavity behind the wall
extends all the way between the basement level and the upper floor, or
if it is closed off at floor level. I don't want to open up the
drywall and find out that I can't route the cables after all. The DVI
cable would need at least a one inch hole to get through, so drilling
something that big through structural lumber would be out of the
question.
Any thoughts?

rj

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell