Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair

Default work on a laptop.

"Noozer" wrote ...
"Martin Heffels" wrote in...
"Richard Crowley" wrote:
MY laptop died this morning and shows nothing on the screen.
It starts OK, with the MSwin logo on the black screen and the
"progress" bar, but as soon as it flips into the native resolution,
the screen goes dead. This may be the first time I have booted
it since one of those automatic MS "patches" or "upgrades" or
whatever.

NEVER get HARDWARE updates from Microsoft. They'll bugger your
installation more often than not. IF you want to update a driver, visit
the manufacturers website and download it directly.

What the above sounds like is just a settings issue. Use F8 to get to the
Windows boot menu and choose VGA mode. It should start and then you can
set the display to the proper resolution and refresh rate.

I used F8 to get to the "last known good configuration", but
then it went bonkers again and now it won't boot at all.
I was thinking about getting a new laptop anyway, anybody
have any outstanding favorites? :-)