Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
Oren Oren is offline

Default HOW? - Frame for vinyl window in cement basement wall

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:23:23 -0700, Dave in Denver
wrote:

I will have egress windows cut into my cement basement walls for a
major remodel, will use a standard 48" x 48" slider or casement.

Personally, I would pick the slider.

Two contractors told me they simply frame the new concrete opening
with 2 inch "green pressure treated lumber" and then set the window.
There may be a bit more lumber for the header "to align with basement
ceiling" or structural needs, but other than that all there will be is
a single board between the cement and window frame.

They will cut the wall; larger than necessary, so the RO (rough
opening can be framed for the window. You want this RO, sized for the
window you pick. The framer needs to ensure the RO is big enough (and
square) . My exterior framed walls are 2X6....

--
Oren