Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Doc Doc is offline

Default Thoughts, tips, suggestions on what UPS to use?

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
"Doc" wrote in message
oups.com

How much UPS would I need to protect and keep both
computers going in the event of a short brown out or
power loss or keep them running at least long enough to
shut things down if it looks like the power is going to
be off for a while.

What is "a while" in minutes?

It seems frequently these short outages come in clusters so a lot of this
would be on a judgement-call basis but off the cuff, I suppose I'd like it
to be able to keep them both going for 10 minutes - say if the power isn't
back on in 5, it gives me 5 minutes to close things down and shut down,
which should be plenty with time to spare. Playing the percentages, it's
more likely I would only be running one of them but you never know.

If the outage occurs when a lightning storm can be heard approaching, I'd be
shutting down and unplugging anyway. Unless I'm very sure it's going to be a
storm-free day, I typically unplug everything including the modem when
leaving for work or for a protracted period.