Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,sci.electronics.repair
M.I.5¾ M.I.5¾ is offline

Default Thoughts, tips, suggestions on what UPS to use?

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 15, 1:22 pm, wrote:

The Kill-A-Watt will measure VA or Watts and also power factor in
addition to volts and amps.

Hard to tell that from the description. I tried to find a web site for
the original manufacturer to read more but wasn't successful. For
$20. it sounds like a handy gadget to have around.

Mostly I wanted to make it understood that watts are not necessarily
numerical to volt-amperes. Most computer equipment is specified in
watts, most UPSs are rated in V-A.

And for determining the load on the UPS, its the VA of the attached
equipment that you need to know. While its the watts that influence the
running time, if the VA rating is exceeded, then either the over current
protection will operate of the inverter transformer or its driving circuitry
may burn out.