Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Use ground as neutral on a switch

"Marilyn & Bob" wrote in message

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"Marilyn & Bob" wrote in message
We have a half a dozen X-10 type wall switches controlling CF bulbs. CF
bulbs require special X-10 type switches that need both a hot and a
neutral
input. In all but one case the switch box has the neutral wire, but in
one
case it does not. That switch controls a track light system with five
lights. Currently, I have a regular X-10 switch in that box and use

one
or
two incandescent bulbs out of the five and it works fine. Still I

would
like to run all five bulbs as CF, so I need the special switch. The
switch
box is grounded (BX cable) but has not neutral. In this special case
that
requires very little current for very short periods, can I safely

connect
the neutral terminal on a switch to the ground? As an analogy,

lighted
switches use the ground as the "return" circuit, but the current

demand,
while longer term is very low.

There are people at comp.home.automation that would probably know the
actual purpose of the neutral connection requirement for X10 switches.

You
might want to try this question there.

Bob

Thank you. That what I'll do. It was from c.h.a that I learned the trick

of
using one incandescent in parallel with the four CF bulbs to allow me to

use
a standard (no neutral required) X-10 switch. While most people here
recommended against it, no one explained how it is different from the use

of
a ground as part of the power circuit for the lamp in a lighted switch

which
does not even have a neutral terminal. I trust that someone in c.h.a will
know if this is a good analogy or not.

The ground is NOT to be used as a current carrying conductor. You should
NOT be using the ground for your lighted switches. I explained in my
previous response how a lighted switch works. By connecting to the ground
you are putting current on your entire grounding system including your
copper plumbing. So while you are standing in a shower those faucets that
you turn the water on with could be live.