Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Use ground as neutral on a switch

(Beachcomber) wrote in
:

We have a half a dozen X-10 type wall switches controlling CF bulbs.
CF bulbs require special X-10 type switches that need both a hot and a
neutral input. In all but one case the switch box has the neutral
wire, but in one case it does not. That switch controls a track
light system with five lights. Currently, I have a regular X-10
switch in that box and use one or two incandescent bulbs out of the
five and it works fine. Still I would like to run all five bulbs as
CF, so I need the special switch. The switch box is grounded (BX
cable) but has not neutral. In this special case that requires very
little current for very short periods, can I safely connect the
neutral terminal on a switch to the ground? As an analogy, lighted
switches use the ground as the "return" circuit, but the current
demand, while longer term is very low.
--

You sound like you know it is not code/legal, but you want someone to
give you permission to do it.

There are many short-cuts that non-professional electricians can take
to save money, materials, make something work when they don't have the
right part, or it involves extra work.

It's similar to putting a switch in the neutral of a light circuit.
Sure, it will work for you, but when the next homeowner or electrican

Or home inspector if you ever sell...and you are in a time crunch to
close...and the only way to get it done on time is to hire an
electrician... and pay the labor on top of materials, etc, etc.

comes to change the light fixture, they may assume that the wiring is
legal and code compliant. Thus they get zapped and or fall off a
ladder.

Beachcomber