Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
kony kony is offline

Default Thoughts, tips, suggestions on what UPS to use?

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:10:24 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

"kony" wrote ...
You're right, "I" don't need it to run during an outtage,
but sometimes I feel I "want" at least a headamp and MP3
player running off batteries. However, some may really
"need" to keep running during an outtage. For example I
used to work as an engineer at a radiosStation and it was
certainly true then, but there were generators not $50
battery powered UPS.

The studio audio equipment is trivial compared to the power
it takes to keep the transmitter running, even at reduced output.

The transmitter wasn't on the same site, it was microwaved
back and forth. Regardless, there's still the same issue of
wherever you are, needing to survive the outtage and having
equipment which some good PSRR.

Another example would be a recording studio,

If I were a commercial recording (or video) studio reliant on
computer-based recording, I would keep at least the recording
computer on UPS (but not necessarily the audio equipment,
preamps, mixer, monitor amp/speakers, etc.) just enough to
save whatever recording was in process. If there is some
necessity to keep recording during power outages, that is
an entirely different scenario with different (and much more
expensive) possible solutions.

True, but some may aspire to the kinds of activities
recording studios do, without having the recording studio
budget for backup power.