Posted to uk.d-i-y
:Jerry: :Jerry: is offline

Default Equipotential bonding in practice

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 14, 11:23 am, ":Jerry:" wrote:
"David Hansen" wrote in message

... On Sat, 14 Jul
2007 10:09:56 +0100 someone who may be ":Jerry:"
wrote this:-

If it doesn't have an electric heating element in it then, if
the
pipes to/from it provide reliable metal to metal contact and
these
are bonded that is enough.

What, even were the pipes are plastic?...

Plastic pipes don't provide reliable metal to metal contact.

snip

Yes, and if they are not visible (IOW hidden) how would the OP know
that he has them [1], just assuming like you did is not good
enough,
assume that the pipes do NOT provide bonding, not that they will
just
because what is visible is metal.

[1] just because the pipes from the boiler and the pipes coming
thought the floor/wall boards are metal doesn't mean that the pipes
in-between are.

Which bit of "if the pipes to/from it provide reliable metal to
metal
contact *and* these are bonded that is enough." (my emphasis) don't
you understand? There's no unsafe assumption, just a requirement
that
the reader understands basic English.

Something you seem not able to do yourself!

If the pipes to/from the rail (not the pipes half a house away, but
those *to/from* the rail) *are* bonded then the rail itself doesn't
need bonding due to the reliable contact between the rail and the
pipes.

If the pipes to/from the rail are not bonded or it is not clear that
they are bonded then that is obviously *not* enough and further
investigation is required.

Which is what I said, admittedly in a roundabout way.