Posted to alt.home.repair
Beachcomber Beachcomber is offline

Default Use ground as neutral on a switch

We have a half a dozen X-10 type wall switches controlling CF bulbs. CF
bulbs require special X-10 type switches that need both a hot and a neutral
input. In all but one case the switch box has the neutral wire, but in one
case it does not. That switch controls a track light system with five
lights. Currently, I have a regular X-10 switch in that box and use one or
two incandescent bulbs out of the five and it works fine. Still I would
like to run all five bulbs as CF, so I need the special switch. The switch
box is grounded (BX cable) but has not neutral. In this special case that
requires very little current for very short periods, can I safely connect
the neutral terminal on a switch to the ground? As an analogy, lighted
switches use the ground as the "return" circuit, but the current demand,
while longer term is very low.
--

You sound like you know it is not code/legal, but you want someone to
give you permission to do it.

There are many short-cuts that non-professional electricians can take
to save money, materials, make something work when they don't have the
right part, or it involves extra work.

It's similar to putting a switch in the neutral of a light circuit.
Sure, it will work for you, but when the next homeowner or electrican
comes to change the light fixture, they may assume that the wiring is
legal and code compliant. Thus they get zapped and or fall off a
ladder.

Beachcomber