Witchy

Default Moving Electric Sockets from skirting to wall

On 9 Jul 2003 16:37:52 -0700, (Charlie)
wrote:

I'm thinking of letting my house on a lease to a housing association.
I've had an initial inspection and one point they've raised is the
need to move sockets from the skirting to a position above the
skirting.

What are the regulations covering this?

Funnily enough we've just had an electrical test done on a house we're
going to let and this was marked, however the people doing the test
said they don't consider it a problem per se since it depends on the
age of the house in question and the size of the skirting. The reason
they gave was modern electricals tend to have moulded plugs (or 'wall
wart' style transformers), and if the socket is too close to the floor
whoever is in the house may try to force a moulded plug into the
socket resulting in possible damage to the plug and/or fitting.

In our case we were deemed OK because the distance from socket to
floor wasn't too small, but I can see the problem in houses with
modern skirting.

cheers

witchy/binarydinosaurs