Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default Electrical connection from ceiling

Mike Dembroge wrote:

"Total Amperage: 38". Is that what you mean by "nameplate" perhaps?

It's an Oliver 4455 planer with Shelix cutter head and has a 7.5hp
motor.

Time to get serious.

Looked at the Oliver site.

Your machine is equipped with a 7-1/2HP, single phase motor and 38 FLA
is quite reasonable.

You want to hard wire this piece of equipment, forget plug and receptacle.

You want a dedicated circuit coming from the panel.

If it was my shop, I'd invest in a magnetic motor starter for a 7-1/2HP
motor complete with low voltage (120V) control.

Wiring in from an overhead drop is NBD, that's why SealTite was invented.

You need an industrial electrician, not some residential type contractor.

It's a piece of cake if you know what you're doing.

It will cost a few $, but then again, so did the planer.

Have fun.

Lew