Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Dembroge Mike Dembroge is offline

Default Electrical connection from ceiling

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 14, 6:45?pm, "Mike Dembroge"

While you are getting in an overhead box you might consider something
to lower the 38 amps. Are you on 110 volts or 220?

It's 220v, 1ph. I don't have 3ph in my shop space and that's not an option
for me. The planer is an Oliver 4455 with a 7.5hp motor, so it's a beast
(considering this is a move up from a dewalt bench-top model).

The electrical is a bit of a tricky issue and a bit of a long story. This
is my first "pro" shop that I'm setting up. My shop space is an individual
"storage unit" inside a huge wearhouse.

When I first spoke with my current landlord about renting shop space from
him, he said that they supply a 100-amp panel in the space and put 110v
outlets every 10 feet down the sides of the shop. They have 1ph only
running to the building, and I was fine with that as long as I can put in
220v myself after I move in. After a few weeks, my landlord called me and
said that they were running 220v in his shop next to mine and why doesn't he
just run mine too as long as I show them where I want the outlets and how
many.

So, we talked about where to put the 220v outlets and and everything seemed
fine. That was, until I got a bill for $2,260. This is just to add four
220v circuits on top of the 110's that they were already adding. I was
floored! I can't see how adding the 4 circuits could take more than a day,
but I bit my tongue. I'm going to be here a long time and don't want to
make waves I guess, so I never said anything and just ate the cost as a
learning experience. The other kicker is that the 220v circuits are all
20-amp. When I ordered my planer, I neglected to realize how much more
power it would need. Being my first shop, I knew I was going to
overlook/screw-up something!

The reason this history is relevant is that my landlord is now saying that
he doesn't want me to add the 50-amp circuit for my planer myself. he wants
me to work with his electrician directly. I wonder how much this is going
to cost?

I can sort of see his point, and while I'm no electrician, I have wired my
own house and garage and have a dad who's a retired electrician. Plus, I'm
real careful. If Im' not sure about something, I have no qualms about asking
for help. I'm hoping I can come to a compromise and perhaps run all the EMT
and wires myself and then have the elctrician hook it into the panel.

Mike

Look on Ebay for your connector.

Very good idea. I'll check it out.

Bob AZ