Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

Default kitchen cabinet grout clean or?

In article . net,
says...
thumbs wrote:

Kitchen cabinet top is 2" tile and grout is badly stained, Have tried
cleaners, scrubbers, etc. Think I need something to grind top of grout
off and possibly replace grout and reseal. Know nothing about this or
how to do it. Would appreciate any how-to advice anybody could offer.
Thanks

It is relatively easy to do with a Dremel tool and the special bit just
for grinding out grout. Have to be sure it will fit into your grout
line or it could chip the tile. It has a guide, and you push it along.

I did my bath with a Dremmel (killed two). I found the guide to be a
waste of time. The grout bits tend to stay in the grout lines
anyway. Buy the bits online. I found them 6 for $22 online.
HomeDespot wants $11 each. I think I used 18 of them, all but six at
$11 each. :-(

I did a shower stall that way, and other than crouching down for too
long it wasn't difficult. I could use a little more muscle for pushing
the new grout in.

I've heard this from others. I've never had trouble with grout.
IMO, it's one of the easier tasks when tiling.

There are also manual saws, but I have not tried them.

I've tried them. Don't waste your sweat.

Our grout had holes, but if yours is solid, I wonder if running
sandpaper lightly down the grout line would refresh it?

The Dremmel set to take off 1/16", or less, might work too.

--
Keith