Posted to alt.home.repair
Cliff Hartle Cliff Hartle is offline

Default Installing wall cabinets

There should be a strip of wood about 3" wide at the top and bottom of the
wall cabinet running from one side to the other either on the inside or
outside. If yours doesn't I hope the back panel is thick and attached well
to the top and sides.

As for the screws you can use these, but the head is a liitle soft and you
may stip it out before its driven all the way.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1272

I like these better but the local Rockler doesn't stock them.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10900

I ended up using an exterior stainless steel bugle head screw with a Square
X head and a silver finish washer. the Square X head gives you a non
stripout head and the tip on the screw has teeth that cut into the wood as
you drive it.

Like these but in stainless

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10294

"Mike E. Fullerton" wrote in
message ...
I am about to install some wall cabinets. The instructions say to
"Pre-drill the cabinet (through top and bottom rail) to line up with
the wall studs." What the heck are the top and bottom rail? On the
base cabinets there is a piece of wood at the top which I guess is the
hanging rail which would be screwed to the wall. Since the entire back
of the wall cabinets are the same wood I guess it doesn't matter where
you screw them in. How can you hide the unsightly screw heads?

Thanks for any advice.