Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing wall cabinets

I am about to install some wall cabinets. The instructions say to
"Pre-drill the cabinet (through top and bottom rail) to line up with
the wall studs." What the heck are the top and bottom rail? On the
base cabinets there is a piece of wood at the top which I guess is the
hanging rail which would be screwed to the wall. Since the entire back
of the wall cabinets are the same wood I guess it doesn't matter where
you screw them in. How can you hide the unsightly screw heads?

Thanks for any advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike E. Fullerton" wrote

I am about to install some wall cabinets. The instructions say to
"Pre-drill the cabinet (through top and bottom rail) to line up with
the wall studs." What the heck are the top and bottom rail?

My cabinets have a wood strip inside, top and bottom,
and the screws go through them.

On the
base cabinets there is a piece of wood at the top which I guess is the
hanging rail which would be screwed to the wall. Since the entire back
of the wall cabinets are the same wood I guess it doesn't matter where
you screw them in. How can you hide the unsightly screw heads?

I don't think it matters, being that the screws are inside the cabinet,
but mine are black with a silver grommet looking washer. Doesn't look
bad.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

There should be a strip of wood about 3" wide at the top and bottom of the
wall cabinet running from one side to the other either on the inside or
outside. If yours doesn't I hope the back panel is thick and attached well
to the top and sides.

As for the screws you can use these, but the head is a liitle soft and you
may stip it out before its driven all the way.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1272

I like these better but the local Rockler doesn't stock them.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10900

I ended up using an exterior stainless steel bugle head screw with a Square
X head and a silver finish washer. the Square X head gives you a non
stripout head and the tip on the screw has teeth that cut into the wood as
you drive it.

Like these but in stainless

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10294

"Mike E. Fullerton" wrote in
message ...
I am about to install some wall cabinets. The instructions say to
"Pre-drill the cabinet (through top and bottom rail) to line up with
the wall studs." What the heck are the top and bottom rail? On the
base cabinets there is a piece of wood at the top which I guess is the
hanging rail which would be screwed to the wall. Since the entire back
of the wall cabinets are the same wood I guess it doesn't matter where
you screw them in. How can you hide the unsightly screw heads?

Thanks for any advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

screws inside cabinets are just dressed up a bit. =| head with a finishing
washer, better than a =D head. Never thought about after.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41306,41316

"Mike E. Fullerton" wrote in
message ...
I am about to install some wall cabinets. The instructions say to
"Pre-drill the cabinet (through top and bottom rail) to line up with
the wall studs." What the heck are the top and bottom rail? On the
base cabinets there is a piece of wood at the top which I guess is the
hanging rail which would be screwed to the wall. Since the entire back
of the wall cabinets are the same wood I guess it doesn't matter where
you screw them in. How can you hide the unsightly screw heads?

Thanks for any advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

btw, silver is common, don't know about black or other colours

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike E. Fullerton writes:

Since the entire back
of the wall cabinets are the same wood I guess it doesn't matter where
you screw them in. How can you hide the unsightly screw heads?

They make stickon plastic circles out of vinyl that cover the
screw heads. They come in various finishes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Make sure the cap fits into the screw, or vice versa. May fit onto some of
slot, philips, robertson, etc. head types and sizes. This is all I found
under "plastic screw caps", just for a view. Probably at HomeDepot.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41306,41315

also uses |= screws and [may] need a little countersinking