Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default screw heads

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"mac davis" wrote in message

I took a look at those and wondered just how strong the phillips portion
would be with most of the center missing. I have square head drives
galore, so its no problem going for the best. Actually some 10 dollar
screwdriver set I picked up for work turned out to be the best purchase
I've made in a while. It has a full set of square and torx in both long
and short bits.

The combo screws have been around for a very long time, IIRC at least 10-12
+years. I have never had a problem with them and since most screws are
typically a one use type fastener they are not likely to wear out from use.
Given that however the part that usually wears out from slipping on a
Philips head screw is the center of the +. This portion is missing on the
combo screws so the likely hood of caming out or damaging the combo is less.