Posted to rec.woodworking

Default screw heads

When working with wood projects and the need for a screw fastener comes up,
what head is used now a days? I was reading a discussion here about buy
this screw, don't trust that screw, but when following the links to the
various manufacturers I keep seeing Torx heads come up (it was the "buy
screw assortment packs" thread). Are torx head screws replacing phillips as
the screw head of choice or are there clear advantages to ANY kind of screw
head? This is for wood, I'm not worried about metal, or plastic, or
something else. I don't really want to start a flame war either, just
curious.

It wouldn't bother me if torx did replace phillips but there has to be some
sort of convention forming, there can't be that many reasons to choose
slotted over phillips over torx over square.

Posted to rec.woodworking
xcz xcz is offline

As far as I see it, it looks like Square head is the new emerging type for
woodworking.
Works great for me at least
--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor
OnlineToolReviews.com
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 150+ free tool reviews online!

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Eigenvector wrote:
When working with wood projects and the need for a screw fastener comes up,
what head is used now a days? ... Are torx head screws replacing phillips as
the screw head of choice or are there clear advantages to ANY kind of screw
head? This is for wood, I'm not worried about metal, or plastic, or
something else. I don't really want to start a flame war either, just
curious.

It wouldn't bother me if torx did replace phillips but there has to be some
sort of convention forming, there can't be that many reasons to choose
slotted over phillips over torx over square.

Little to choose slotted for anything other than -- well, I can't think
of any reason, really...

The choice otherwise is really pretty immaterial for the average _rec_
woodworker; the only real place it matters a whole lot is for automated,
high volume applications.

For those, square, torx and similar are preferred as they have less slip
and lift out force than Phillips or even Robertson (the advantage of it
wrt Phillips besides the licensing issues).

That, of course, doesn't address the tampering issue, etc., that is also
a major factor for commercial applications in many fields although
probably somewhat less so for woodworking than other materials.

Then, you're left w/ appearance. If it is in an area that is visible,
nothing is as good looking imo as the Phillips. If it isn't, I'll
normally choose square if all else is equal...

Oh, head shape and application is another consideration, of course,
although lesser to drive configuration, although some things aren't as
readily available in alternate syles (bugle head seem mostly square
drive, for example).

One could go on almost indefinitely w/ more and more minutiae!

In the end, choose what you like and go...again, unless you're in a
production environment it will really make virtually no difference in
all likelihood which you choose once you give up the old slotted...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"xcz" wrote in message
u...
As far as I see it, it looks like Square head is the new emerging type for
woodworking.
Works great for me at least
--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski

Yeah I guess I'm not a big fan of phillips or slotted, too many strip outs.
Of course quality work matters there a lot, but it sure is nice to have a
screw head that grips tight and won't slip out. Square head does seem like
a champ, have it on all my electrical breakers, but torx is nice too. I'd
just hope they don't do that stupid metric/imperial measuring system making
me buy twice as many tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Eigenvector wrote:
When working with wood projects and the need for a screw fastener comes
up, what head is used now a days? ... Are torx head screws replacing
[...]

I don't really believe that. The nominal advantage of torx or square over
phillips/slotted is in the way its manufactured. Torx head and Square have
to be stamped or cast within reasonable tolerances, whereas slotted and
phillips can be quite a bit more sloppy - especially with respect to
screwdriver bit size. You aren't going to put a T20 screw in with a T15
bit, but you can usually manage to put in a large phillips head in with a
small phillips - the end result being that the smaller screwdriver bit will
slip and tear up the screwhead. Again, the quality of the screw makes a big
difference, as well as the knowledge of the user. That's one reason why I
prefer the square and torx, I have to pay attention to the size or I won't
get the job done - the phillips lets me be sloppy and lazy. I honestly
don't have any idea what sizes of phillips are available, but there are
sizes God knows what though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
When working with wood projects and the need for a screw fastener comes
up, what head is used now a days? I was reading a discussion here about
buy this screw, don't trust that screw, but when following the links to
the various manufacturers I keep seeing Torx heads come up (it was the
"buy screw assortment packs" thread). Are torx head screws replacing
phillips as the screw head of choice or are there clear advantages to ANY
kind of screw head? This is for wood, I'm not worried about metal, or
plastic, or something else. I don't really want to start a flame war
either, just curious.

It wouldn't bother me if torx did replace phillips but there has to be
some sort of convention forming, there can't be that many reasons to
choose slotted over phillips over torx over square.

The short answer is "it depends" on where and why you are using the screws.

If you are making period furniture steel slotted screws would be most
appropriate... I saw a chest on chest recently that looked pretty good from
a distance. However, when I got close and looked at the construction
details, including the back and sides, I saw Torx and square drive screw
heads... completely ruined the piece in my view!

Brass slot head screws always look better to me on cast brass hinges.

On the other hand, if you are screwing the top to the apron of a table with
pocket screws, Torx or square drive are fine.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Eigenvector wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

What is "that"?

The nominal advantage of torx or square over
phillips/slotted is in the way its manufactured. Torx head and Square have
to be stamped or cast within reasonable tolerances, whereas slotted and
phillips can be quite a bit more sloppy - especially with respect to
screwdriver bit size.

Not really, except for the slotted. Phillips are manufactured to pretty
close tolerances, too (discounting really cheap imports).

The thing is they were developed initially for automated drive systems
and there is significant literature/engineering on the subject although
I don't care to start in on significant research again, I have looked at
it some in the past.

...you can usually manage to put in a large phillips head in with a
small phillips - the end result being that the smaller screwdriver bit will
slip and tear up the screwhead.

Well, DOH!!! What's the point? You can hammer a larger flat blade into
a smaller straight slot screw head and tear it up, too. I would assume
the point in a piece of woodworking is to put the fastener in to hold
the piece and have it look presentable, _too_.

If we're hanging drywall, that's something entirely different.

...what sizes of phillips are available, ...

0 thru 3 are about all you're going to find at all commonly...

All in all, I don't know your point/beef -- you asked for an opinion, I
gave mine and some background as to why/what...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...

Little to choose slotted for anything other than -- well, I can't think of
any reason, really...

Then, you're left w/ appearance. If it is in an area that is visible,
nothing is as good looking imo as the Phillips.

Brass slotted head with all the slots in the same direction looks very nice
on the right application, such as a boat. Even brass hinges with two or
three screws loot better with properly oriented slotted heads, IMO. It
certainly shows that the builder truly cared about his work.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...

Little to choose slotted for anything other than -- well, I can't think of
any reason, really...

Then, you're left w/ appearance. If it is in an area that is visible,
nothing is as good looking imo as the Phillips.

Brass slotted head with all the slots in the same direction looks very nice
on the right application, such as a boat. Even brass hinges with two or
three screws loot better with properly oriented slotted heads, IMO. It
certainly shows that the builder truly cared about his work.

Definitely, but I'd prefer the Phillips over the slotted still in almost
all applications I think...

I really like the oval-head w/ the appropriate hardware and right
countersink size...

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm a big square-drive fan.

Reason 1: Virtually no camout
Reason 2: Virtually no camout means that the head is not damaged and screws
for temporary assemblies can be recycled. (economy)
Reason 3: No damage looks better on premanent assemblies.
Reason 4: I can "mount" a screw on a driver and it will stick there even
pointing down (ease of use).

Regarding head shape, I try to use washer-heads (like pocket hole screws)
when appearance is not a concern and being flush to the surface is not
required. A traditional flat head delivers a wedging force which can cause
splitting.

I tend to use these quite a bit because, if appearance counts, I usually
will find another way to fasten two boards (like glue).

-Steve

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
When working with wood projects and the need for a screw fastener comes
up, what head is used now a days? I was reading a discussion here about
buy this screw, don't trust that screw, but when following the links to
the various manufacturers I keep seeing Torx heads come up (it was the
"buy screw assortment packs" thread). Are torx head screws replacing
phillips as the screw head of choice or are there clear advantages to ANY
kind of screw head? This is for wood, I'm not worried about metal, or
plastic, or something else. I don't really want to start a flame war
either, just curious.

It wouldn't bother me if torx did replace phillips but there has to be
some sort of convention forming, there can't be that many reasons to
choose slotted over phillips over torx over square.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
When working with wood projects and the need for a screw fastener comes
up, what head is used now a days? I was reading a discussion here about
buy this screw, don't trust that screw, but when following the links to
the various manufacturers I keep seeing Torx heads come up (it was the
"buy screw assortment packs" thread). Are torx head screws replacing
phillips as the screw head of choice or are there clear advantages to ANY
kind of screw head? This is for wood, I'm not worried about metal, or
plastic, or something else. I don't really want to start a flame war
either, just curious.

It wouldn't bother me if torx did replace phillips but there has to be
some sort of convention forming, there can't be that many reasons to
choose slotted over phillips over torx over square.

Torx "is not" new. The automotive industry started using the Torx fasteners
over 30 years ago.
Torx is better than straight and Phillips but for the average wood worker it
is probably equal to the square drive.
Given the fact that square drive is becoming more common place and you have
to hunt for Torx, I'd say the square drive would be the way to go.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 20:04:19 -0500, dpb wrote:

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Are you distinguishing square drive from Robertson? Aren't they the
same thing?

- Ken

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:08:51 -0700, "Eigenvector" wrote:

"xcz" wrote in message
. au...
As far as I see it, it looks like Square head is the new emerging type for
woodworking.
Works great for me at least
--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski

Yeah I guess I'm not a big fan of phillips or slotted, too many strip outs.
Of course quality work matters there a lot, but it sure is nice to have a
screw head that grips tight and won't slip out. Square head does seem like
a champ, have it on all my electrical breakers, but torx is nice too. I'd
just hope they don't do that stupid metric/imperial measuring system making
me buy twice as many tools.

The "combo" head seems popular now, fits both square and phillips...
I find them handy for times when I'm just using a couple of screws and can drive
them without changing whichever bit is in the drill..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Ken McIsaac wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 20:04:19 -0500, dpb wrote:

Are you distinguishing square drive from Robertson? Aren't they the
same thing?

I got them in the wrong sequence I see, yes...

But, not, they're not _quite_ the same. The taper is slightly different...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robertson is a patented version from Canada. They wanted lots o' bucks
for licensing fees so everybody else just makes perfect squares where
true robertson have an angled (or drafted) sides. Everybody else just
punches a square hole with straight sides and adds a small amount of
draft to the driver. So the Robertsons will grab just a fraction
better.

For original poster, just go to McFeely web site and read all you need
to know about screws.

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

- Ken- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
ups.com...
Robertson is a patented version from Canada. They wanted lots o' bucks
for licensing fees so everybody else just makes perfect squares where
true robertson have an angled (or drafted) sides. Everybody else just
punches a square hole with straight sides and adds a small amount of
draft to the driver. So the Robertsons will grab just a fraction
better.

For original poster, just go to McFeely web site and read all you need
to know about screws.

Yeah I've already done that. Already thinking about putting an order in and
ditching those cheapies I picked up at the Borgs.

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:08:51 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

"xcz" wrote in message
.au...
[...]

I took a look at those and wondered just how strong the phillips portion
would be with most of the center missing. I have square head drives galore,
so its no problem going for the best. Actually some 10 dollar screwdriver
set I picked up for work turned out to be the best purchase I've made in a
while. It has a full set of square and torx in both long and short bits.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Eigenvector" wrote:

I took a look at those and wondered just how strong the phillips portion
would be with most of the center missing.

Doesn't seem to matter much. Most of the torque gets applied at the
circumference anyway, and not in the center. I've never noticed any more
problems using a Philips driver on the combo screws than on Philips screws.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Eigenvector wrote:

Yeah I've already done that. Already thinking about putting an

order in and
ditching those cheapies I picked up at the Borgs.

Smart move.

SFWIW, I standardized on S/S years ago.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
nk.net...
Eigenvector wrote:

Yeah I've already done that. Already thinking about putting an

order in and
ditching those cheapies I picked up at the Borgs.

Smart move.

SFWIW, I standardized on S/S years ago.

Lew

So how does an operation like McFeely's work? Do they make their own screws
or resale them from another vendor? One reason for going to a place like
that is to avoid the imports, but I don't want to trade one cheap screw for
another?

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Eigenvector wrote:

Yeah I've already done that. Already thinking about putting an

order in and
ditching those cheapies I picked up at the Borgs.

Smart move.

SFWIW, I standardized on S/S years ago.

Lew

So how does an operation like McFeely's work? ...

They're an industrial distributorship that went online primarily for the
nonprofessional...

The redistribute the same products mail order and internet sales they
sell locally, just typically in smaller quantities...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Eigenvector wrote:

Yeah I've already done that. Already thinking about putting an
order in and
ditching those cheapies I picked up at the Borgs.
Smart move.

SFWIW, I standardized on S/S years ago.

Lew

So how does an operation like McFeely's work? ...

They're an industrial distributorship that went online primarily for the
nonprofessional...

The redistribute the same products mail order and internet sales they sell
locally, just typically in smaller quantities...

--

So looking closer at their selection, it would seem that all the McFeely's
screws are made in either Taiwan or China. I changed my mind, buying from

Posted to rec.woodworking

Eigenvector wrote:

One reason for going to a place like
that is to avoid the imports, but I don't want to trade one cheap

screw for
another?

Forget US made fasteners, they don't exist any more except for
possibly some specialty items.

At one time, Cleveland, OH was the fastener manufacturing capital of
the world.

One by one, they all shut down and moved off shore, starting in the
mid 70's.

If you want quality, stay away from the borgs and people who try to
sell their goods at too good a price.

Never forget, everybody has to get to the feed trough.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

snip

So looking closer at their selection, it would seem that all the
McFeely's screws are made in either Taiwan or China. I changed my
mind, buying from them would be no better than buying from the Borg.
I'm not that enamored with square head drives.

Wrong. McFeeley's stuff is industrial grade, rather than run of the prison
camp crap. That it's made in Asia is incidental.

I'm just a small scale hobby user. One who has spent a couple hunnert with
Jim, and feels it's worth it.

YMMV. But it's not Borg junk.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Eigenvector" wrote:

So looking closer at their selection, it would seem that all the McFeely's
screws are made in either Taiwan or China. I changed my mind, buying from
them would be no better than buying from the Borg. I'm not that enamored
with square head drives.

Two things: first, McFeely's screws are definitely *much* better than buying
from the Borg. I've been using McFeely's pretty much exclusively for about
five years now, for all manner of projects. I've snapped exactly one screw,
and buggered the heads on maybe two or three, in dozens and dozens of boxes.

Second, there is a world of difference between Taiwan and China. Taiwan has an
elected government and a free-market economy; China is a communist
dictatorship with a centrally planned economy. The profit motive works wonders
in improving product quality, when consumers have a choice. I prefer to buy
products made in the U.S. when they're available (and if I can afford them),
but when they're not, I have no hesitation at buying those made in Taiwan.
Sure, the quality often isn't as high as U.S. or Canadian manufacture (among
others), but it's light-years ahead of most of the garbage that comes out of
China.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:10:32 -0700, "Eigenvector" wrote:

The "combo" head seems popular now, fits both square and phillips...
I find them handy for times when I'm just using a couple of screws and can
drive
them without changing whichever bit is in the drill..

mac

I took a look at those and wondered just how strong the phillips portion
would be with most of the center missing. I have square head drives galore,
so its no problem going for the best. Actually some 10 dollar screwdriver
set I picked up for work turned out to be the best purchase I've made in a
while. It has a full set of square and torx in both long and short bits.

I've been buying them for 2 or 3 years and don't seem to have any more
slipping/rounding than with a "normal" #2 Phillips screw...

They're just convenient for me and readily available...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:07:48 -0700, "Eigenvector" wrote:

Yeah I've already done that. Already thinking about putting an order in and
ditching those cheapies I picked up at the Borgs.

Don't throw 'em away...

If your shop attracts friends and neighbors like mine does, save the borg stuff
for folks that are doing some fence patch job and want a handful of screws..
The borg stuff will work fine for them and you don't have to give the
(relatively) expensive screws away to folks that don't need that quality..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:16:25 -0700, "Eigenvector" wrote:

So looking closer at their selection, it would seem that all the McFeely's
screws are made in either Taiwan or China.

So are most of my USA brand tools... Including my TS and 2 lathes..
Where it's made is not nearly as important as how well it's made...

It's sort of like saying that cars are crappy because they're made in/by
Japan...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:11:30 GMT, (Doug Miller) wrote:

[...]

I think a major factor is WHO has the tools manufactured, Doug...

IMHO, Jet or Delta are going to require products with higher specifications and
quality that Harbor Freight...

You can have cheap junk made anywhere, including the States, if that's what you
order and accept..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
So looking closer at their selection, it would seem that all the McFeely's
screws are made in either Taiwan or China. I changed my mind, buying from
them would be no better than buying from the Borg. I'm not that enamored
with square head drives.

There is a huge difference between McFeely's and the borgs. Don't let the
country of origin be the deciding factor, they are capable of making quality
fasteners as well as cheap stuff. McFeely's buys the good stuff and the
rest is shipped to the big box stores. Buy a few and see for yourself.
Experience the square head also and you will find it really is better.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"mac davis" wrote in message

I took a look at those and wondered just how strong the phillips portion
would be with most of the center missing. I have square head drives
galore, so its no problem going for the best. Actually some 10 dollar
screwdriver set I picked up for work turned out to be the best purchase
I've made in a while. It has a full set of square and torx in both long
and short bits.

The combo screws have been around for a very long time, IIRC at least 10-12
+years. I have never had a problem with them and since most screws are
typically a one use type fastener they are not likely to wear out from use.
Given that however the part that usually wears out from slipping on a
Philips head screw is the center of the +. This portion is missing on the
combo screws so the likely hood of caming out or damaging the combo is less.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Eigenvector wrote:

Yeah I've already done that. Already thinking about putting an

order in and
ditching those cheapies I picked up at the Borgs.

Smart move.

SFWIW, I standardized on S/S years ago.

Lew

So how does an operation like McFeely's work? Do they make their own
screws or resale them from another vendor? One reason for going to a
place like that is to avoid the imports, but I don't want to trade one
cheap screw for another?

McFeeley screws does not manufacture screws. They buy and package and sell.
At various times as noted in their catalog some screws are imported.
Imported is just fine as long as the quality remains high. I doubt
McFeeleys would sell a "wood" screw that is less than desirable.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
--

So looking closer at their selection, it would seem that all the McFeely's
screws are made in either Taiwan or China. I changed my mind, buying from
them would be no better than buying from the Borg. I'm not that enamored
with square head drives.

..
Assuming that McFeeleys screws would be in the same class as the Borg screws
would be an ignorant assumption. Don't let your lack of experience and
knowledge of square drive screws and the quality of McFeeleys screws steer
you to a more expensive and possibly lesser quality screw. I have never had
a problem with their wood screws and I seriously doubt that you will either.
If you have problems I am sure that they will stand behind them.