Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default What's wrong with PEX ??

On Jul 13, 11:06 am, "Walter R." wrote:
Just wondering. Why is the City of San Diego not allowing PEX? I was under
the impression that PEX was the greatest thing since the invention of the
wheel. What's wrong with the stuff?

"the City of San Diego will halt the acceptance of applications requesting
the use of PEX.
This policy will become effective immediately for all projects
including re-piping projects."

http://www.sandiego.gov/development-...pdf/pexltr.pdf

Is PEX cheaper to install and thus not acceptable to our labor unions? City
Hall recently voted to keep Wal-Mart out of San Diego. Wal-Mart is not
unionized. Any other reasons for prohibiting PEX? Any other cities
prohibiting PEX?

--
Walterwww.rationality.net
-

California has 30+ million people...it's nearly unworkable, so many
special interest groups

PEX ok'd is on a city by city basis....all the new construction in the
"Inland Empire" / high desert is PEX.

about 200 cities have given the ok besides no one in SD drinks the
tap water....way to high in TDS, approaching salt water

my in-laws have lived in SD for 20 years & they never drink it nor do
I when I visit...the stuff tastes rather salty

FYI The SF bay folks actually want people to move away from copper
to PEX or other plastics since copper water lines actually increase
the copper load in the bay.

If you guys think this place is crazy now just wait until we have 40
or 50 million