Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

Default What's wrong with PEX ??

I lived in a town that would not allow nothing except cast iron for waste
lines.I became good friends with a union plumber and found out that the
plumbers' union didn't want to loose that part of their work so cast iron
was kept in the local code.

"Walter R." wrote in message
.. .
Just wondering. Why is the City of San Diego not allowing PEX? I was under
the impression that PEX was the greatest thing since the invention of the
wheel. What's wrong with the stuff?

"the City of San Diego will halt the acceptance of applications requesting
the use of PEX.
This policy will become effective immediately for all projects
including re-piping projects."

http://www.sandiego.gov/development-...pdf/pexltr.pdf

Is PEX cheaper to install and thus not acceptable to our labor unions?
City Hall recently voted to keep Wal-Mart out of San Diego. Wal-Mart is
not unionized. Any other reasons for prohibiting PEX? Any other cities
prohibiting PEX?

--
Walter
www.rationality.net