Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default What's wrong with PEX ??

Walter R. wrote:
Just wondering. Why is the City of San Diego not allowing PEX? I was under
the impression that PEX was the greatest thing since the invention of the
wheel. What's wrong with the stuff?

"the City of San Diego will halt the acceptance of applications requesting
the use of PEX.
This policy will become effective immediately for all projects
including re-piping projects."

http://www.sandiego.gov/development-...pdf/pexltr.pdf

Is PEX cheaper to install and thus not acceptable to our labor unions? City
Hall recently voted to keep Wal-Mart out of San Diego. Wal-Mart is not
unionized. Any other reasons for prohibiting PEX? Any other cities
prohibiting PEX?

Here's the story:
http://www.plumbingengineer.com/june...er_systems.php

It looks to me like California rejects the NSF's safety testing and
wants to do their own test to certify PEX.

Bob