wmbjk

Default Is Drill Doctor worth the price????

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 11:35:13 +0000 (UTC), "Doug Arthurs"
wrote:

Does anyone have trouble putting relief on their bits with the drill
doctor? Seems like when I sharpen a bit their isn't enough releif to
allow the cutting edge to go into the work so I end up touching the bit
to the bench wheel to add more relief.

Doug

The relief is dictated by the rotational alignment of the bit in the
collet. You want the *point where the heel of the ground face of the
bit meets the edge of the twist* to line up with the *center of the
flats on the collet*. I found that it helped to scribe a line on the
nose of the collet to make alignment checking easier. Depending on the
twist of your bit, you many have to fiddle with the alignment lever on
the machine, or just rotate the bit slightly as needed before
tightening the collet. Not sure if your's is the same, but the manual
for mine has a diagram showing what you're looking for.

Wayne