Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default screw heads

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:11:30 GMT, (Doug Miller) wrote:

In article , "Eigenvector" wrote:

So looking closer at their selection, it would seem that all the McFeely's
screws are made in either Taiwan or China. I changed my mind, buying from
them would be no better than buying from the Borg. I'm not that enamored
with square head drives.

Two things: first, McFeely's screws are definitely *much* better than buying
from the Borg. I've been using McFeely's pretty much exclusively for about
five years now, for all manner of projects. I've snapped exactly one screw,
and buggered the heads on maybe two or three, in dozens and dozens of boxes.

Second, there is a world of difference between Taiwan and China. Taiwan has an
elected government and a free-market economy; China is a communist
dictatorship with a centrally planned economy. The profit motive works wonders
in improving product quality, when consumers have a choice. I prefer to buy
products made in the U.S. when they're available (and if I can afford them),
but when they're not, I have no hesitation at buying those made in Taiwan.
Sure, the quality often isn't as high as U.S. or Canadian manufacture (among
others), but it's light-years ahead of most of the garbage that comes out of
China.

I think a major factor is WHO has the tools manufactured, Doug...

IMHO, Jet or Delta are going to require products with higher specifications and
quality that Harbor Freight...

You can have cheap junk made anywhere, including the States, if that's what you
order and accept..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing